Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Giving Tuesday...a reminder of how to give to the world each and every day.



Today at lunch a man asked me what made me want to come to Brazil.   I like this question for a few reasons one it helps me share a part of my personal story with others and two it helps remind me of my initial desires some 4 years ago to become  a missioner.   Answering this question at times is a bit of a dance because I use to say I had the desire to serve the poor, which is true but hard to say when I am eating with those that who are poor in material means but not poor in so many other ways.  It was nice sharing my reasons for leaving my home, my friends and family and adventuring out into the world.  It is so affirming to have others listen to why I think it is important to give and share what I haven been given in my life.  For example, an education, work experience, and the freedom to make choices based on a larger world view.

When I got home today I read on Facebook that today is giving Tuesday.  A day set aside to give back to the world and share with the world what we are doing.  I found it ironic that I had already begun sharing with others today why I chose to give my life to others.  The other part of this idea which I think is missing and which I have been learning over the years is how I receive.  Granted I could list what I do on a daily basis to give to others but if I am to do that I think it is important to list too how I receive from the very people I give too.

Yesterday at AFYA was pay day.  A day where I am pretty popular with the women I work with because I do the payroll.  Our payroll is pretty simple because we take the money we earn for the month, take out our expenses and divide the rest of the money between the staff members.  November was a good month,  the women earned between $170 & $ 250 dollars for the month.  The cost of living here is about the same as the US.  Imagine living on this amount.  Yet everyone was so excited and so happy when on behalf of AFYA I gave them their money.

At one moment during the day I was getting a migraine which was making it hard to think and do the accounting I needed to do to finish my work.  So I went downstairs and Maria gave me a massage  to help with my headache. This beautiful woman does not know how to read and write and lives in a very poor neighborhood.  But yesterday she helped me in such a big way by sharing with me her gift of healing.  Maria is one of the women I came to help but now that I have a relationship with her I realize she helps me as much as I help her.   This is true for all the women I work with.  Each one adds something to my life.  Whether it is helping me with my health, or making sure I get something to eat at lunch or helping me cultural or language issues.  I have learned that it is great to have the desire to give and be open with our hearts but it is as equally as important to be open to receiving.

I think giving Tuesday is a great idea, and I would add it is important to give every day of the week. Having a special day set aside to remind us the importance of giving is like being asked to share my story of why I chose to be a missioner.  It inspires some and also reminds me of the importance of remembering why I do what I do.  Every day should be a day of giving and also for receiving.

I realize one important element to this day is to give to charities and I know this importance because I am able to survive because of the money that others give to me.  And I should add if you have the desire to give it would help me stay in mission and I would receive it will appreciation.  You can find information on how to give below through PayPal or Maryknoll Sisters.  It is important to look at the specific directions so the money comes to me directly.

34 years ago today Maryknoll Sr. Maura Clarke, Sr. Ita Ford, Sr. Dorothy Kazel and Lay Missioner Jean Donovan were abducted, raped and violently murdered while returning from the airport in El Salvador.  These Maryknoll Sisters and Lay Missioner gave the ultimate gift, their lives in service to others.  These are the shoulders on which I stand as a Maryknoll Affiliate Missioner in Brazil. Maryknoll Sister Ita Ford wrote the poem here reminding us that giving can provide us with deep meaning and energy to live our life to the fullest.  I too hope I continue to find ways to live my life giving to others and to always remember the people I give too also have something I need to receive, even if it is a simple thank you.

If you missed giving today, don't worry giving Tuesday may have passed but we always have giving Wednesday.

I close by remembering the Maryknoll women who died 34 years ago today and thank them for their gift of life in the fight for justice for the poor in El Salvador.  Their lives were and are shining examples to me of how we can give to the world each and every day.



You can donate to help keep me in mission by:

Pay Pal:  this is the best way for me.  Go to paypal my info is Carolyn Trumble at trumble100@gmail.com

You can send a tax deductible check made out to Maryknoll Sisters and indicate it is designated to Women’s Holistic Center, in Brazil and under care of Sr. Efu Nyaki.  P.O. Box 311, Maryknoll, NY 10545-0311   

NOTE: YOU MUST ADDRESS THE DONATION EXACTLY THIS WAY IN ORDER FOR IT TO REACH ME!!!!!!!!!
Thank You!







No comments:

Post a Comment